|We have 1330 articles and 90% are complete!||Please help review these models from 12+ months ago: (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
Disgorged from the hellish workshops of Cryx, bile thralls store volumes of corrosive digestive and decomposition agents within their bodies, with hoses and tubes leading from their distended mouths to crude firing mechanisms. With a lurching death spasm, each bile thrall can force a startling volume of caustic acis over a wide area to dissolve flesh and devour metal.
Soldiers assailed by a skarlock commander and its thralls are tormented by the sight of their comrades brutally slaughtered, only to have their souls used as fuel to power the commander’s dark magic.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Bile Thralls
- 3 Other
- Bile Cannon - 8" spray, POW 12 ranged attack.
- Damage Type: Corrosion
- Continuous Corrosion
- Purge (★ Attack) - Make an attack with this weapon. Each model covered by the spray template is automatically hit unless this model's LOS to it is blocked by terrain. After this attack is resolved, remove this model from play. Purge damage is simultaneous.
- Battle Wizard - Once per turn, when this model destroys one or more enemy models with a melee attack during its activation, immediately after the attack is resolved it can make one Magic Ability special attack or special action.
- Magic Ability [ 6 ] - This model can cast spells. Normally this uses up the model's Combat Action and as such is limited to one spell per activation, but exceptions do exist.
- Soul Taker: Soul Cage - This model can gain soul tokens. When a living enemy model is destroyed within 2" of this model, this model gains the destroyed model's soul token. This model can have up to three soul tokens at any time. This model can spend soul tokens for the following:
- Strength of Death - During its Combat Action, this model can spend soul tokens to boost one attack or damage roll for each token spent.
- Tactics: Advance Deployment - Models in this unit gain Advance Deployment.
- Fell Spear - 2" reach, P+S 10 melee weapon.
| Dark Fire
|When a living enemy model is destroyed by Dark Fire, the spellcaster gains the destroyed model's soul token regardless of the proximity of other models.|
|Enemy upkeep spells and animi on this model and its unit immediately expire.|
- Other Factions
Thoughts on Bile Thralls
Bile Thralls in a Nutshell
Bile Thralls are a support unit, and Purge is their entire purpose in (un)life. This allows a Cryx player to get around high DEF and "cannot be targeted" abilities, and to remove large swathes of single-wound infantry (because even if they survive the initial purge or trigger Tough, they've got a 2 in 3 chance of dying to the continuous corrosion).
Thoughts on adding the CA
A Skarlock Commander leading a Bile Thrall unit allows to spread out the Biles further and in this way to cover more enemy models under the bile cannons. Moreover, he can be sniping models with Dark Fire on turns when the unit isn't running. All-in-all, probably worth it if you have points left.
Combos & Synergies
Bile Thralls work well in any army that allows to speed them up or helps them get down the field intact. The following options increase their survivability:
- Occultation gives them stealth, protecting them from ranged attacks.
- Ghost Walk gives them the option of advancing through terrain giving concealment or cover.
- Terminus's "Shadow of Death" ability can help keep a few alive.
- Sturgis2's feat "Dead on Arrival" pushes all non-warcaster, non-warlock enemy models in his control area directly towards him a short distance leaving Biles with the task to clear jams of single-wound infantry.
- Using a screening unit such as Mechanithralls can keep your opponent busy.
A lot of the strategy for using Biles revolves around getting them as far forward as possible, to let their Purge cover as much of the enemy army as possible.
- Telekinesis or Darragh Wrathe's "Death Ride" ability can be used to speed the Biles up.
Drawbacks & Downsides
Due to their high damage potential, most opponents will make an effort to remove them before they can Purge. With their low DEF, ARM and SPD your opponent has a good chance of killing them all while they're still waddling up the field. Alternately, your opponent can just run to engage them and the Biles can't make any attacks at all (no melee attacks, and can't Purge while in melee because it's a ranged attack). In either case it isn't necessarily a bad thing, as your opponent may often commit excessive resources to eliminating Bile Thralls while leaving the rest of your army free to advance against minimal resistance.
Tricks & Tips
When the Biles Purge, spread the unit out as much as possible to cover a maximum number of enemy models. The best target is single-wounded infantry since if they will not die from Purge, they may suffer from continuous corrosion damage. There is no more Excarnate trick in Mk3 using Bile Thralls.
- The unit (without CA) was released way back in Warmachine: Prime (2003)
- The CA was released in the Warmachine: Vengeance expansion (2014)
- Sculptor: Will Hannah
Other Cryx models
|* The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)