This article goes over the core rules of Battle Engines. The content is a repeat of the core rulebook (Sept2017v2.pdf), plus some explanatory notes aimed at new players.
Battle Engine rules
A battle engine is a huge-based (120 mm) independent model. See below for what being a huge base entails.
- Fields of Fire (pg 39) - The front arc is divided into Left and Right. Weapons in the left can only target models on the left and vice versa.
- Note that you can draw LOS from either arc; See also this diagram
- Slam distance (pg 46) - If you Power Attack Slam something non-huge based, it's slammed an extra 2".
- Doesn't apply to non-Power Attack Slams, such as the Hurricane's Thunder Charge ability.
- Concealment & Cover (pg 50) - This model never gains the DEF bonus from concealment or cover. It can get other effects (such as Prowl) though.
- In Melee
- (p 51) - This model never gains the target-in-melee DEF bonus.
- (p 52) - If a ranged/magic attack misses, it is not rerolled against another model in the same melee, it just misses completely.
- (p 65) - CRA can target this model even when it's in melee.
- Clouds (p 60) - Clouds never block LOS to this model.
- Elevation (p 78) - This model never gains the elevation DEF bonus.
- Forests (p 79) - Forests never block LOS to this model.