Bane Witch Agathia
|We have 1330 articles and 90% are complete!||Please help review these models from 12+ months ago: (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
| Bane Witch Agathia |
Once regarded as both prisoner and oracle, Bane Witch Agathia is one of the more unusual weapons in Cryx’s arsenal. In life she was valued for her insight into the occult, and the tragic circumstances of her death only increased her worth to the dark lords of the Nightmare Empire. Though presently more pawn than queen, Agathia has begun to assert her will, and she may yet find a way to choose her own fate.
- Friendly Faction models/units currently in Agathia's control range are affected by Ghost Walk (refer to her spells).
- While in Agathia's control range, friendly Faction models gain Stealth.
- When a model in Agathia's battlegroup ends its activation in her control range, you can immediately place that model anywhere completely within 3" of its location.
- Shadowfall lasts for one round.
- Apparition - During your Control Phase, place this model anywhere completely within 2" of its current location.
- Death Shroud - While within this model's command range, enemy models suffer -2 STR.
- Ghostly - This model can advance through terrain and obstacles without penalty and can advance through obstructions if it has enough movement to move completely past them. It cannot be targeted by free strikes.
- Henchmen [ Small-based Bane ] - Choose one friendly Small-based Bane unit at the beginning of the game to be Henchmen. The chosen unit gains +2 DEF and MAT and Apparition.
- Irregulars [ Bane Knights ] - Bane Knights can be included in any army that also contains this model.
- Soul Taker: Cull Soul - This model can gain soul tokens. When a living enemy model is destroyed within 2" of this model, this model gains the destroyed model's soul token. After this model replenishes its focus during your next Control Phase, replace each soul token with 1 focus point.
- Death Kiss - 2" reach, P+S 12 melee weapon
| Ghost Walk
|Target friendly Faction model/unit gains Ghostly for one turn.
|Models disabled by Hellfire cannot make a Tough roll. Models boxed by Hellfire are removed from play.|
|Target warjack in the spellcaster's battlegroup gains +2 ARM and Retaliation.
|Target model/unit suffers -3 ARM and the spellcaster gains +1 ARM.|
|Place the spellcaster anywhere completely within 3" of its current location. Vanish can only be cast once per activation.|
- Black Industries
- Dark Host. Agathia gains Prowl in this theme.
- The Ghost Fleet
- Scourge of the Broken Coast
- The "place" part of her feat now affects herself
- Gained Apparition, Death Shroud, Ghostly, Irregulars, and Henchmen
- Lost Dark Shroud
Thoughts on Bane Witch Agathia
Bane Witch Agathia in a nutshell
Bane Witch Agathia is the Cryx Battlebox caster. Like all Battlebox casters, she is built to be relatively simple to use while still providing a meaningful introduction to the faction. As such she exemplifies many of the powers (ignore terrain & debuff the enemy) and weaknesses of Cryx (easy to kill). If you're learning the game, it is best to use her vs one of the other battlebox casters because they're all designed to have roughly the same power level. None of them are top tier casters, as they lack the flexibility or strength to be top contenders.
Her tool box hits many of the hallmarks of Cryx including a debuff, soul mechanics, mobility improvements, above average focus, and a strong offensive spell. On the down side, her protective abilities will be short lived and she is not that hard to kill.
Leveraging her strengths primarily means using her spells rather than her personal combat ability. It's best to keep her safe with distance and clever use of a combination of Apparition, Vanish, and her feat.
Selecting your undead henchmen can be difficult but here is a run down as to why you may choose either.
- Bane Knights - On their own they have a defence 14 armour 18 profile vs charges. When henchmen and Death Shroud in play this becomes Def 16 ARM 20 which lots of models will struggle to do anything to. They naturally have a longer threat range than Bane Warriors too, so apparition does more. Because of Irregulars she can take them in any theme, but on the surface Scourge of the Broken Coast fits them best as they can be a durable anchor while stacking Gang Fighter with 2 inch reach.
- Bane Warriors - the Def buff is negligible as they are low/average def to begin with you also need to be playing in Dark Host. But as weapon masters with Dark Shroud and not much accuracy the +2 Mat is golden. As always apparition is a threat extender that lets you teleport into the back arc of models or just move forward. Another advantage Warriors have over knights is Tough, the ability to bring henchmen back from the dead and a 12 man full unit vs an 11 man unit.
Agathia's feat provides several different bonuses to your army including faction wide stealth, faction wide ghostly, and battlegroup teleport at the end of activation. Each one of these buffs can be powerful in turn and should be leveraged if possible.
Against a gunline with limited anti-stealth tech, it may be worth using this feat for this buff alone. You can rush your army into position to threaten objectives forcing enemy gunlines to move forward or lose on scenario.
Faction wide ghostly is a huge buff. In anticipation of using this feat, take advantage of the terrain. Cover from walls, blocking LOS obstruction, and patches of rough terrain to restrict enemy movement.
The last element of the feat is a short teleport, don't underestimate the utility of this. It can be used to dive into protective terrain like a forest's concealment or cover from a wall or trench. After charging an enemy, you can teleport out of the way so another one of your units can move in and continue the attack if the enemy survived. Without this, you might be hard pressed to to fit more than one heavy warjack around some targets.
- Ghost Walk is an awesome mobility spell, allowing the model/unit to benefit from a combination of Parry and Pathfinder+. A great tool for positioning and making the most of the terrain on the table. It's often worth bringing a Skarlock Thrall or The Withershadow Combine along just to cast this exactly where needed without depleting Agathia's focus or restricting her movement.
- Hellfire The standard high-power "laser" of cryx. It's kind of long range, prevents tough and removes the victim from play once boxed. A great spell for spot removal of pesky solos.
- Hellwrought is a spell with unexpected utility, as not only does it make Deathjack an arm 21 snacking terror, the vengeance move it provides can allow drag jacks threat extension and shooting crab jacks the ability to aim. Because of its synergy with Shield Guard, an Inflictor is also a great target for this spell. Helljacks like the arm buff, but even at arm 19 they are easy to kill or cripple in one round, limiting the value of the vengeance.
- Parasite is a fantastic debuff that gives Agathia a small ARM buff at the same time. Use it to weaken opposing heavy ARM targets to shred them with the rest of your forces.
- Vanish allows flexibility with positioning. While 3" isn't very far, being able to place yourself anywhere within that range can make getting to advantageous terrain easier. Also a Get Out of Melee free card if your opponent managed to get something Agathia can't deal with close but failed to finish her off.
In a battlebox fight, two players who bought nothing but their Faction's starter set use everything in that box to play a game.
As a Cryx caster, Agathia is going to win through denying your opponent's strengths, superior mobility, and debuffs. Ghostwalk and her feat will let the most dangerous element of your army reach the enemies most valuable. Superior mobility on your arcnode will allow Agathia a sizeable board presence and to arc your most potent spells from a safe distance. Parasite takes the cake on your spell list. Not only it will help you to remove heavily armored targets, with Dark Shroud it can often lead to excellent piece trades and assassination victories. Just don't forget to keep Agathia safe from retaliation. See Tips and Tricks.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Agathia does not have any form of DEF debuffs so she has a hard time dealing with high DEF targets; unless you take naturally accurate troops, such as the Satyxis.
- True Sight casters (such as Issyria1 or Kara Sloan) are a hard counter to the Stealth portion of Agathia's feat.
- She is sometimes compared unfavorably to Asphyxious1 who is another all-around caster but who has superior anti-ARM and personal combat ability both in spell slinging and melee.
Tricks & Tips
- Using her feat, a warjack with the Drag ability can walk through LOS-blocking terrain, drag an enemy heavy towards your line, then teleport away. Leaving either the enemy heavy stranded somewhere useless or perhaps just standing in front of your army ready for a pummeling. And if your Dragging warjack misses, the teleport can help save its bacon.
- Because her feat applies the Ghost Walk spell, which is itself a target model/unit spell, when it comes to units you only need to have a single trooper within her control range for the entire unit to get Ghostly.
- Cryx debuff engine allows you great piece trades, ie. you can remove valuable enemy models with your less valuable assets. this is something you should learn as fast as possible when playing Cryx. The most typical example is the ARM de-buff in the form of Parasite, Dark Shroud and other abilities. Here's a quick rundown:
- Let's see a battlebox contestant, the Khadoran Juggernaut. This jack is the golden standard for warjack survival with its basic ARM of 20 and 34 HP. For the sake of simplicity let's assume that none of your attacks miss against it. If you manage to land a charge with your Slayer, and do a Combo Strike, you'll cause ~12 damage with your first hit (P+S 22 + 10 on average for 3 dice minus the ARM), then 3 for each attack you bought. Since your Slayer can have only 3 Focus, and 1 must be spent on charging, most likely the Juggernaut will survive on 16 HP - and with a little (mis)fortune it remains fully functional. Ouch.
- Now, with Parasite (basically making said Juggernaut ARM 17), you don't even have to resort to combo strike - even your 3 basic attacks will cause ~17 points of damage (9+6+2). 2 more claw attacks will leave it on roughly 7 HP, which is basically crippled for good. However, it can still be dangerous if you left the cortex untouched.
- If you can deliver Agathia within 2" to that poor Juggernaut, and land Parasite on it, we're basically talking about a beefier light jack armour level of 15. Your charging Slayer might cause up to 23 points of damage with its initials (11+8+4) and 2 more claw attacks (8 damage each) can one-round the Khadoran jack for good. Just make sure, Agathia won't be killed next turn.
- If you manage to apply both Parasite and Dark Shroud on the enemy caster, it is basically game over.
List Building Advice
Once moving beyond the battlebox fights, discussed above, Agathia supports her army in a variety of ways allowing newer players to explore the faction in their own fashion. When seeking infantry, find the units that are most likely to use both Ghostwalk and Parasite. Also she generally wants models that can hit accurately, as she has no to-hit buff.
This theme is full of infantry that hit accurately, but not very hard. They can also sometimes struggle with rough terrain. So they make excellent use of Agathia's Parasite debuff as well as Ghostwalk. The Trolls and Ogrun especially like the Ghost Walk and Stealth from her feat to help them cross the board somewhat unscathed.
- Her Bane knights will will be able to proc Gang Fighter for her jacks, and with 2" reach and Reposition 3" they will do this very, very well.
- Her jacks with Gang Fighter will be absurdly heard hitting. You also have access to other damage buffs such as Dark Shroud from Asphyxious4, or
- Darragh Wrathe - You can stack Mortal Fear and Death Shroud for an effective +4 ARM where the bubbles overlap. Which is especially mean on a Hellwrough Kraken. He can also Death Ride for an extra 1" of threat range on her and her Banes.
Dark Host is the home of the Banes so you get to make Bane Warriors your henchmen if you so please.
- First off, the theme gives her Prowl and fog to hide in, letting her have stealth all game.
- Secondly, she can benefit from Tartarus's Veteran Leader. It applies to her offensive spells as well as her melee attacks (although hopefully she stays out of melee).
- Darragh Wrathe is also in this theme.
- Stealth from her feat can all but guarantee the Banes get to combat unscathed (if you feat early).
- A Desecrator can get a free focus from her just by activating within 3" of her.
- Bane Witch Agathia is the battlebox caster for Cryx
- Released in Prime Mk3 (2016.06)
Video Battle Reports
- 2019.05 Encounter Wargaming, vs Helynna1
- See also Category: Video Battle Reports for more casters with videos.
Other Cryx models
Rules Clarification : Agathia
|* The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)