|99% of this website is about Mark 3 (mk3), which is the previous edition of the game (2016 to 2022). The reasons for this are explained here.|
1% of the website is about Mark 4 (mk4), but only in regards to which mk3 models are useable in mk4 Prime and which are mk4 Unlimited. See Legacy Armies for more detail.
This model is available in one Prime Army, Dark Host. It can also be used in the Unlimited game mode. You can view the other Mk3 models that made it into a Legacy Army at this page.
Note that the rest of this page is about the model's Mark III rules.
Bane Thralls, cunning undead warriors inscribed with countless runes and sigils of their dark rebirth, are versatile and deadly soldiers among more mindless undead. Wickedly proficient at killing, they host a darkness that both permeates their being and seeps into the world of the living. Few know the means by which these potent creatures are created, and only the most depraved masters of necromancy can begin to understand the nature of the malignant power from whence they arise.
Rune-bound captains lead the blasphemous bane thralls onto the battlefield to slaughter for their own vicious pleasure. Only the most hateful and malevolent of spirits are chosen to lead the banes into battle.
- Entire unit
- Officer only
- He has a better statline
- Tactics: Rise - Models in this unit gain Rise. (Rise - If a model with Rise is knocked down at the beginning of your Maintenance Phase, it stands up.)
- Void Bringer [ Minifeat ] - This model can use Void Bringer once per game at any time during its unit's activation. When this model uses Void Bringer, return d3 + 1 destroyed Grunts to this unit. Place the returned Grunts completely within 3" of this model. Returned Grunts must forfeit their Combat Actions this activation.
- Standard only
- Standard Bearer - While this model is within 5" of its unit commander, the unit commander gains +2 CMD.
- Take Up - If this model is destroyed, you can choose a Grunt in this unit within 1" of it to be destroyed instead. Effects on this model expire, and it gains the effects on the chosen Grunt. Remove the Grunt from the table instead of this model. This model has the same number of unmarked damage boxes as the chosen Grunt.
- Granted: Tough - While this model is in formation, models in its unit gain Tough.
- Leader, Grunts, & Standard
- War Axe - 1" reach & 11 P+S, but its abilities make up for that.
- Weapon Master
- Dark Shroud - While in this model's melee range, enemy models suffer -2 ARM.
- War Axe - 1" reach & 11 P+S, but its abilities make up for that.
- War Axe (x2) - As above, but double the fun.
- Dark Host. Bane Warriors gain Prowl in this theme.
- Special mention to Goreshade1 who can put them into any theme via his feat.
- Other Factions
- Infernal players can use this unit in the Hearts of Darkness theme, but only if Mortenebra is leading the army.
Thoughts on Bane Warriors
Bane Warriors in a nutshell
Bane Warriors are the undisputed ARM crackers of our infantry options and indeed they are some of the hardest hitting infantry in the game. With Ghostly these guys can get into interesting angles for backstrike and can threaten Jacks and Beasts thats are hiding behind a skirmish unit. They are also handy at delivering the Dark Shroud ARM debuff for the rest of your force.
What they struggle with is accuracy and their mediocre threat range sees them taking a charge more than giving it despite ghostly. If you are taking a caster to support them you need someone who mitigates 1 of these issues.
Thoughts on adding the CA
Totally worth it - if you're running Bane Warriors at all, you want them to have the CA. Tough from the flag is great, and everything the Officer brings is gravy. Just try not to get the Officer sniped before you get a chance to use his mini-feat.
5 pts is a tad more than most CA, but you get a fully armed standard bearer (unlike most CA).
Combos & Synergies
Banes pair well with anything that helps their average MAT or gets them across the board in one piece. Warcasters that can cast occultation, clouds, recursion effects or restrict enemy LoS will enjoy seeing a mostly full squad be delivered.
- Desecrators gain a free focus if they're near a Bane.
- Banes have slow speed and may struggle to reach the enemy, so having models in your army which bring the enemy closer can help.
- For example the Reaper and Malice have harpoons; the Machine Wraith and Malice can possess enemy warjacks, the Sepulcher has a 4" pull, Deneghra2 has a 3" suction vortex, etc.
- You can even double-tag a 'jack, using a Machine Wraith to posses an enemy jack and walk it close to Malice, then use Malice to possess it can walk it closer to the Banes.
- Bane Lord Tartarus loves to pal around with banes. Its his sole purpose in death.
- Goreshade1's feat puts a small unit of Banes into play, regardless of the game size or theme restrictions. It can be quite nice to get a unit of Banes in other themes.
- Goreshade2 has Tactician [Bane] making it easier to move them around.
- Scaverous - Excarnate lets you double up on the recursion of this unit.
- Agathia - She can make them her Henchmen. This ups their threat, defence and Mat. It’s just a shame that she does nothing for them beyond this as it means you will only ever really consider 1 full unit with all the trimmings for her.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Bane Warriors suffer from their short threat range. With no built-in defenses against ranged attacks, they will get shot off the board unassisted or left in the open.
- DEF 12 means they die to charges and get shot by incoming fire.
- ARM 15 will fend off blast damage but little more than that.
Tricks & Tips
- Watch for enemies sniping out the officer or standard,
- Run a Bane Warrior into melee with an enemy, then send the rest of your army in to benefit from Dark Shroud. A unit of Banes can spread out and cover several enemies.
- You can get backstrikes more often than you'd expect thanks to Ghostly letting them ignore free strikes. This is vital in fixing their average MAT.
- Get the Officer into position, then use his mini-feat, then the returned guys can sacrifice their Combat Action and move, spreading Dark Shroud out.
- If you make any attacks with the unit before using the mini-feat, then the unit's movement has already finished and the returned Grunts cannot move.
- Bane Thralls (without CA) were released way back in Warmachine: Prime (2003)
- The UA was released in Forces of Warmachine: Cryx (June 2010)
- 2003 sculptor: Will Hannah
Other Cryx models
Rules Clarification : Weapon Master - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Dark Shroud (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Undead - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Ghostly (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Tactics vs Granted (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Rise (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Tough - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Void Bringer (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Standard Bearer (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Take Up (Edit)
Note to Editors