Aurum Lucanum Athanor Locke
|We have 1219 articles and 90% are complete!||Please help us finish these articles (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
|Locke (1 year review)||Suppresor (one year review)||Exemplar Bastion Seneschal (one year review)||Exemplar Errants (One one year review)|
| Aurum Lucanum Athanor Locke |
Aurum Lucanum Athanor Locke is a young and accomplished arcane mechanik and warcaster who also happens to be a pious Cyrissist. Outfitted with a custom-built and augmented armor frame, Locke is not only a Crucible Guard warcaster, but she leads the arm overseeing the fabrication of the Crucible Guard’s warjacks. While her faith is known to her peers, they do not suspect she acts as a secret observer and agent for the Convergence of Cyriss, bringing them intelligence from within the other organization. Her skill with machinery and engineering both on and off the battlefield has made her a highly valued asset to both groups.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Locke
- 3 List Building Advice
- 4 Other
- Warcaster - All warcasters come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome. (Click the link for a full rundown.)
- Field Marshal [Precision Strike] - Warbeasts/warjacks in this model's battlegroup gain Precision Strike. (Precision Strike - When damaging a warjack/warbeast with a melee attack, the attacker chooses which column/branch takes the damage.)
- Resourceful - This caster can upkeep spells on battlegroup models for free.
- Repair [d3+3] (★ Action) - RNG B2B. Target friendly Faction construct model. If the model is in range, remove d3+3 damage points from it.
- Split Loyalties - When included in a Crucible Guard army, Locke is a Crucible Guard model, not a Convergence model. When included in a Convergence army, Locke is a Convergence model, not a Crucible Guard model.
- Living Convergence - Unlike most of Convergence, this model is still flesh and blood.
- Enhanced Fist (x2) - 1" reach, P+S 12 melee weapons.
- Flame Jet (x2) - 6" spray, POW 12 ranged attacks
| Engine of Destruction
|The caster gains +2 SPD, +4 STR, and +4 MAT for one turn.|
|Target model in the caster's battlegroup immediately makes one basic melee attack.|
|Target warjack in the spellcaster's battlegroup gains +2 STR and SPD and can run, charge, or make slam or trample power attacks without spending focus. At the end of each of its activations, the affected warjack suffers d3 damage points.|
| Road to War
|When a friendly Faction model in the caster's control range destroys one or more enemy models with a melee or ranged attack during its activation, immediately after the attack is resolved one warjack in the caster's battlegroup that is in its control range can advance up to 3". A warjack can advance as a result of Road to War only once per turn.|
|Friendly Faction model gains Rapid Fire.
|On a critical hit, models hit are thrown d6˝ directly away from the attacker. Roll distance once for all models affected. Models thrown do not deviate. Move models farthest from the attacker first. Instead of suffering blast damage, models hit but not directly hit suffer a POW 10 damage roll. (Blast damage on non-critical hits is done normally.) The POW of collateral damage, if any, is 10.|
Feat : Arcanodynamic Catalysis
- Enemy upkeep spells and animi in Locke’s control range immediately expire.
- When an enemy model is forced, casts a spell, or spends 1 or more focus or fury points while in Locke's control range, you can place one Catalytic token on a model in Locke's battlegroup currently in her control range. If a model casts a spell by spending focus or fury, Arcanodynamic Catalysis triggers only once. A model cannot have more than three catalytic tokens on it at any time.
- A model gains +1 DEF and ARM for each Catalytic token on it. The weapons of a model with one or more catalytic tokens on it gain Damage Type:Magical.
- Remove one Catalytic token from each affected model at the end of its activation.
Thoughts on Locke
Locke in a nutshell
Locke is an arcane mechanik in the service of the Order of the Golden Crucible, who also serves as a warcaster fighting alongside the Crucible Guard. She is also secretly a member of the Convergence of Cyriss and can work for both factions. All her spells help her jacks, and she has a mix of support features found on Guard & Convergence casters. She has a field marshal, and can push her Mat to silly levels (Convergence), while also featuring a powerful defensive feat which is best described as a mass debuff to the enemy army (Guard). A very unique caster for both factions, and an absolute beast when she engages.
Locke's feat relies heavily on her spell selection and model placement. You either need to make your opponent spend focus/fury (Such as by attacking a Warcaster/Warlock and having them reduce or transfer), or make sure that you are able to capitalize on your opponent's use of focus/fury.
You often want to stack Locke's feat tokens to the maximum of three, giving whatever model selected multiple turns of a brilliant defensive buff.
- Jackhammer It's a great spell under most circumstances but you'll want Arc Nodes and Channelers to keep Locke safe.
- Road to War is a mainstay spell of hers. Cast it on turn 1 and every non-Colossal has very interesting threat ranges.
- Redline is another one of her mainline spells - a speed and damage buff. Well worth spell cycling. Combined with Road To War that's a 5" threat extension and +2 damage.
- Engine of Destruction is a spell cast from turn 2 onwards in Convergence armies, but almost never cast in Crucible Guard unless the enemy is silly enough to get their caster within 12" of yours. This is because it boosts Locke to MAT 9 - and if Locke is MAT 9 then so are all her Vectors. In Crucible Guard it just gives an 11" charge threat range at MAT 9, P+S 16 to beat down enemy casters that get too close.
- Sentry is her ranged buff. It requires you have one decent ranged warjack (the rest can all be melee) - and gives you an extra shot.
- Bombshell is a bad zap. But if you can't do anything else on feat turn it's better than nothing.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- She does nothing to help models outside her battlegroup.
- Jackhammer has only a 6" range, which means she needs to either channel (and Convergence channellers are easy to kill while Crucible Guard arc nodes burn out) or play uncomfortably forward (playing forward is mitigated somewhat by her feat).
- Ranged attacks are vital to trigger Road to War early, which often means you have to make a choice between maximizing Road to War or protecting your army with Combat Alchemist clouds.
- Locke's feat does little into certain types of lists, such as infantry spam, unless Locke is really far up the table.
Tricks & Tips
- When using Road to War in Convergence, make sure to activate your Optifex Directive early and hand out Pathfinder to the Vectors before they start moving.
- She can't take the Toro or Vanguard in a Convergence army, due to the way Split Loyalties is worded.
List Building Advice
Her main method of winning is a warjack/vector beatdown, and her feat combined with jackhammer means she can beat up jacks and beasts - while Road to War is an anti-infantry spell. She's also a combined arms caster, with shooting triggering Road to War
She has a very effective assassination that involves delivering a Redline'd warjack to the enemy warcaster then Jackhammering them until they die. The warjack doesn't even need to Charge or make any attacks on it's activation. If it can arrive at the opponent's warcaster with at least one non-crippled weapon system, and you can get Locke or an Arc Node or Channeler to within 6", you've pretty much won. Run your 'jack if you need to, then activate Locke, and begin Jackhammering. 7 free Melee attacks from the warjack (5 if you are Convergence, you'll want to cast Engine of Destruction to boost your battlegroup to MAT 9) will most likely kill any caster.
Other Strategies include taking the hit from the opponents charge, and using her feat to make them miss and / or heavily armoured. Then you use the counter attacks to swing the attrition back in your favour. This can enable a longer game, where your feat will play more into winning by attrition, and also scenario.
Dont be afraid to throw a jack forwards and cripple an aspect / system of a heavy, or even start the piece strade and take it off the board. Even a light jack like the Vanguard or Galvaniser can take out a cortex with a few focus or jackhammers, and a opposing heavy with no cortex is worth a lot less.
She's a battlegroup caster - in Convergence she goes straight in Destruction Initiative and Crucible Guard in Prima Materia without needing to think twice. However Magnum Opus is a really solid theme, and it's worth considering how Locke's 'jack lineup blends with the efficiency of Crucible Guard medium-base infantry.
Army - Crucible Guard
- Aurum Legate Alyce Marc - Locke loves the support Alyce provides, and can easily make full use of her abilities every turn. Jackhammer has a funny interaction with Big Alyce, the two together can push through the last damage needed on a weakened enemy caster.
- Prospero - Locke fields many 'jacks, making Prospero useful for all of his abilities. Preferably with Suppressor or Retaliator as Guided Fire is great with sprays. Note that Instability Equation is one of the best counters to jamming infantry Locke can field.
- Toro - Locke loves this beatstick and her army should field several of them (Competitive Note - As of August 2018, the exact number preferred has not been developed, though most top players would recommend 2-3). Between Countercharge, Road to War and Redline, Toro's non-linear threat reaches absurd levels and lets him bully the table.
- Vindicator - Crucible Guard's go to answer heavy, Locke can maximize the threat range & effectiveness of the Vindicator's amazing set of Attack Types.
- Suppressor - Long range sprays are always good, especially when boosted and the SPD of their carrier is buffed. (Competitive Note - As of August 2018, medium base infantry are a very real archetype, which a Suppressor or two with Locke answers quite cleanly)
- Retaliator - The combination of Grievous Wound on a spray with Locke's Field Marshal ability is pain for the enemy to deal with, especially good against packed infantry with Tough such as Trolls.
- Liberator - Locke wants to swap her upkeeps and cast Jackhammer, but it can be hard for her to keep up with her 'jacks. The Liberator's Experimental Arc Node allows Locke to cast her spells across the battlefield, while still serving as an effective frontline 'jack.
- Vanguard - Locke is primarily a 'jack caster, at home in either theme in Crucible Guard. Prima Materia gives the otherwise underwhelming Vanguard (Locke typically wants more heavies or something with more umph) double Shield Guard, perhaps the most points efficient defensive tech in the faction.
- Vulkan - SPD8 and POW21 with Redline plus all its abilities make the Vulkun extremely potent with Locke. This is on top of the Vulkan's ability to correct for match ups into armies with lots of Immunities, which is a huge weakness for Crucible Guard lists without the Railless or infantry spam.
- Crucible Guard Mechaniks - With that many 'jacks one or two Mechaniks are very useful to provide Pathfinder and Repairs.
- Combat Alchemists - Cloud walls really help Locke deliver her army. In addition, Combat Alchemists serve as a solid scoring and zone denying option for an army which would rather spend its 'jacks killing other 'jacks.
- Dragon's Breath Rockets - A highly efficient weapon crew which can be free in Magnum Opus or contribute to free solos in Prima Materia. Almost certainly a staple, especially when you consider how Withering Humor devastates 'jack jamming infantry.
Army - Convergence
- Corollary - All but auto-included in every Convergence list, and for good reason. An extra 2" on Locke's control range is huge for catching enemies in her feat, as well as abusing Road to War almost anywhere on the board. Being able to fuel her battlegroup for her allows Locke to spend more on casting Engine of Destruction and Redline, too.
- Inverter - 2" reach, and pow 19/22 with Redline. Redline and Road to War drastically increase this otherwise slow vector's threat range, and everyone loves Mat 9 auto-knockdown P+S 22. It can be worth including two in your lists.
- Assimilator - Strong weapon master melee, and a good ranged attack for triggering Road to War. An excellent Sentry target. Do note that since attacks from Ground Pounder occur simultaneously, a single Ground Pounder can only move one model with Road to War.
- Conservator - Under her feat, these become really difficult to kill, with a Def 14/Arm 23 statline if given three Catalytic Tokens. With Redline and if the opponent triggered Hand of Vengeance, the Conservator becomes MAT 7 POW 19. For total overkill, Engine of Destruction brings it to MAT 11. Not bad, for a 12 point heavy.
- Diffuser - Sentry allows the little fella to get two beacons out each turn. This can allow a single Diffuser to contribute heavily to an army.
- Galvanizer - While banking on Critical Effects isn't always the best decision, the Galvanizer contributes to free solos, can repair other vectors, and with Field Marshal [Precision Strike] it can try to scalpel out important systems/branches on enemy battlegroups. If nothing else, it's always good for contesting zones cheaply.
- Prime Axiom - Locke's assassination run is characterized by the Inverter, but there is something to be said about jackhammering a redline'd Prime Axiom. However, including the Axiom limits how many vectors you can cram in a list, and Locke tends to enjoy saturating the table with heavies. Whether you start your list-building with the Axiom, or prefer multiple Assimilators, having the additional ranged presence from either helps you trigger Road to War, playing into Locke's toolkit.
- Reflex Servitors - In Destruction Initiative, you can get up to five groups of servitors for free. Reflex Servitors are best used for creating an early skirmish line and pressuring scenarios while the rest of Locke's battlegroup moves up. With POW 14s, they can threaten some heavier armor when they move in to attack. However, due to the wording of Detonation, only a model killed by the direct hit will trigger Road to War, not anything killed by the blast damage.
- Elimination Servitors - When it comes to free servitors in Destruction Initiative, Elimination Servitors have the added benefit of not dying whenever they make an attack.
- Attunement Servitors - For all your pesky stealth-removal needs! Attunement Servitors can open up otherwise untouchable models to be lit up by your forces, allowing for those important Road to War movements!
- Optifex Directive - Convergence walkers don't have Pathfinder. This fixes that, and patches up any Redline induced damage. Locke also doesn't have any Magical Weapons outside of her feat turn. The Directive fixes that, too.
- Algorithmic Dispersion Optifex - Convergence's Arc Node. Cheap but fragile, keep it defended with shield guards. Good for swapping Redline around on the flanks in the early game, then running out to channel Jackhammers when lines have clashed.
- Released with the Crucible Guard Faction (2018.06).
- While not the first two-faction warcaster, she is the first (and currently only, ignoring the weird Oblivion themes) who is not also Mercs or Minions.
Video Battle Reports
- 2019.04 Deathclock Dave, vs Doomshaper3
- 2019.01 Arcane Assist, vs Abyslonia1
- 2018.09 Arcane Assist, vs Zerkova1
- 2018.08 Deathclock Dave, vs Grissel2
- 2018.08 Arcane Assist, vs Butcher3
- 2018.07 Deathclock Dave, vs Gorten1
See also Category: Video Battle Reports for more casters with videos.
Other Faction models
|Crucible Guard Index (Edit)|
|Battlegroup & Similar|
|Warcasters||Aurum Legate Lukas di Morray - Aurum Adeptus Syvestro - Marshal General Baldwin Gearhart & Mr. Clogg - Aurum Lucanum Athanor Locke - Captain Eira Mackay|
|Warcaster attachments||Aurum Legate Alyce Marc (Crucible) - Sylys Wyshnalyrr (Mercenary) - Madelyn Corbeau (Mercenary)|
|Other Warjack Controllers||Prospero (BGC)|
|Light||Liberator - Retaliator - Vanguard|
|Heavy||Suppresor - Toro - Vindicator|
|Units, Solos, Battle Engines, & Structures|
|Units|| Infantry - Assault Troopers - Combat Alchemists - Dragon's Breath Rocket - Rocketmen - Shock Troopers - |
Ranking Officer : Doctor Alejandro Mosby
|Solos|| Rocketman Ace - Mechanik - Trancer|
Prospero - Gorman - Hutchuck
|Battle Engines||Railless Interceptor|
|Magnum Opus - Prima Materia|
|Refer to Who Works for Whom and/or Category: Crucible Guard Mercenary|
|This index was last updated: 2018.11|
|Convergence Index (Edit)|
|Warcasters||Aurora - Axis - Directrix - Locke - Lucant - Orion - Syntherion|
|Light||Corollary (Attached) - Diffuser - Galvanizer - Mitigator|
|Heavy||Assimilator - Cipher - Conservator - Inverter - Modulator - Monitor|
|Colossals||Prime Axiom - Prime Conflux|
|Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units|| Clockwork Angels - Eradicators - Obstructors - Optifex Directive - Perforators - Reciprocators - Reductors|
Special CA [Any Unit] : Transverse Enumerator
|Battle Engines||Transfinite Emergence Projector & Permutation Servitors|
|Destruction Initiative - Clockwork Legions|
|This index was last updated: 2019.04|