Asphyxious the Sanctified & Annihilation Servitors
|We have 1330 articles and 90% are complete!||Please help review these models from 12+ months ago: (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
| Asphyxious the Sanctified & Annihilation Servitors |
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Asphyxious4
- 3 Other
- Mercenary - This model will work for Cryx and Convergence
- Partisan [ Convergence ] - When included in a Convergence army, this model/unit is a Convergence model/unit instead of a Mercenary model/unit.
- Partisan [ Cryx ] - When included in a Cryx army, this model/unit is a Cryx model/unit instead of a Mercenary model/unit.
This unit consists of Asphyxious and 3 Annihilation Servitors.
- Activate Annihilation Servitor - At the end of your Control Phase, you can put into play one Annihilation Servitor completely within 2˝ of this model if there are fewer than three Annihilation Servitors in play in this unit.
- Battlegroup Controller - (1) This model is not a warcaster but has the following warcaster special rules: Battlegroup Commander, Focus Manipulation, Power Field, and Spellcaster. (2) This model must have at least one warjack in its battlegroup at the start of the game.
- Leadership [ Constructs ] - While in this model’s command range, other friendly construct models gain Bloodthirst. (Bloodthirst - When it charges a living model, this model gains +2" movement.)
- Limited Battlegroup - The only warjacks that can be in this model's battlegroup are non-character Convergence, non-character Cryx, non-character Mercenary warjacks, and warjacks with Bond [Asphyxious]. Warjacks in its battlegroup are considered to be the same Faction as this unit..
- Malign Alignment - (1) While this model is in play, models in its unit that are in formation and warjacks in its battlegroup gain Dark Shroud. (2) Additionally, while B2B with this model, a warjack in its battlegroup can spend focus points on it. (Dark Shroud - While in this model's melee range, enemy models suffer -2 ARM.)
- Soul Taker: Cull Soul - This model can gain soul tokens. When a living enemy model is destroyed within 2" of this model, this model gains the destroyed model's soul token. After this model replenishes focus during your next Control Phase, replace each soul token with 1 focus point.
- Annullifier - 2" reach, POW 8, P+S 16 melee weapon (effective P+S 18 with Dark Shroud)
| Caustic Mist
|Place a 3" AOE cloud effect completely within the spellcaster's control range. A model entering or ending its activation in the AOE suffers the Corrosion continuous effect. Caustic Mist lasts for one round.|
|Place models in the spellcaster's unit anywhere completely within 2" of their current locations. Models are not affected while out of formation. Flicker can be cast only once per activation.|
|Models disabled by Hellfire cannot make a Tough roll. Models boxed by Hellfire are removed from play.|
- Dark Matrix - When this model destroys a living enemy model while in Asphyxious’ control range, Asphyxious gains the destroyed model’s soul token.
- Murderous - This model gains an additional die on melee attack rolls against warrior models.
- Steady - This model cannot become knocked down.
- Blades - 0.5" reach, POW -
- Incise - Instead of suffering a damage roll, a model hit by this weapon automatically suffers 1 damage point.
Thoughts on Asphyxious4
New model - This article is a Work In Progress
Please don't delete this warning unless you (1) have played several games with the final rules (games with CID rules don't really count) and (2) you've reviewed this article and it mostly(★) matches your experiences.
(★) Bearing in mind that other editors may make suggestions you don't think are the "best" but that doesn't make them "wrong". Don't delete stuff just because you disagree with it, please.
Asphyxious4 in a nutshell
Asphyxious4 is a melee powerhouse unit that brings a fully powered warjack to your army while providing clouds, threat extension and an easily-applied ARM debuff. He is virtually guaranteed to take a heavy off the table and there's not really much the other player can do about it. He has the offensive profile of a beatstick heavy, the defensive profile of a full warcaster AND he brings buffs and debuffs to your army at a bargain price.
He is bananas in many armies.
No matter what Faction he is fielded in, he has access to three Factions worth of jacks. In general, Asphyxious4 wants to avoid Convergence warjacks, he prefers Mercenary heavies over Cryx heavies, and Cryx lights over Mercenary lights.
He wants to avoid Convergence warjacks because, with the way Induction works, you need at least two Vectors in your battlegroup before you get any benefit, the points investment for 3+ Vectors quickly gets excessive, and he doesn't actually want to be allocating out focus to warjacks. Also his RAT 3 sucks.
In particular, the warjacks that have proven good with Gaspy4 are:
All merc jacks are solid, though none beats a single Cryx Scavenger if you're after a cheap expendable 'jack. The merc heavies are especially good in the Cryd Black Industries theme where they gain Carapace.
- The Buccaneer is a nice budget light with a knock down net. It can set up a target for a Freebooter.
- The Freebooter is a budget beatstick heavy that can hit way above its price tag with Dark Shroud, especially if it gets to Trash a knocked down target. And its jury rig gives it a startling turn of speed.
- The Toro is a mid-price beatstick heavy, and is considered a fantastic jack for its points cost. P+S 18, 2" reach and countercharge combine well with Dark Shroud and a heavy with a shield takes a beating. Great pick for Black Industries.
- The Mariner is a heavy with a 15" range gun and a 2" reach with P+S 17 when it gets as far as melee. If your game plan is for a shooty heavy this is probably your pick. Drones can be loaders.
- The Talon is a cheap jack with reach and a shield. Simple and effective.
Not recommended, as above. However the options remain as:
- Take 1 Negator and just send it in to apply Dark Shroud and Flank for Aurora2's Negators if that's the kind of army you want to run.
- The Galvaniser is the cheapest possible warjack, making it the cheapest way to get Asphyxious4 in your army. Honestly though, unless you're replacing a unit of mechaniks, just spend an extra point and get a decent jack.
- The Diffuser can give you another +2" charge range. You'll just need to cope with it's cruddy RAT 3. It gets a free reroll, but still.
- The Stalker has good SPD, Jump, and Extended Control Range. This makes it a great way to apply Dark Shroud to something. It also brings anti-healing to your list. On the other hand at ARM 13 and 18 damage boxes even Stealth and DEF 15 won't keep it alive long.
- He can bring Cankerworm in any theme he's in, and the worm is a light jack of great quality.
- A Scavenger is a cheap light that can go in with POW 13 finisher attacks and mess things up. It even flies.
- A Helldiver or two can function as a great independent piece that pops up at inopportune moments for your opponent and apply Dark Shroud 30" across from your table edge. It also allows Gaspy to be greedy with focus and run a round as a super solo. In Strange Bedfellows it can even be taken as a Requisition Option.
- A Slayer is normally considered a light on steroids that can get in one really good blow. Bumping its P+S to an effective 18/18/14 makes it a slightly breakable heavy, more than capable of shattering armour
Combos & Synergies
- Both Auroras, as his Leadership plays right into their gameplan of long threat ranges, while simultaneously providing melee threat and damage buffs. He also flies himself so Aurora2's Battle Plans and her feat affect him, too, meaning he can go to town with an effective P+S 20 spear, then reposition away to apply dark shroud for something else.
- J.A.I.M.s - As a pure melee combat solos she likes getting to the fronetline so she can cut things apart. Blood Thirst helps with the getting there part, Dark Shroud with the cutting things.
- Gabriel Throne - Despite having spent centuries in mechanikal bodies no blood is coursing through, the grand master can still use Stir the Blood on him for even more damage on his spear. Or he can make Gaspy Tough with Heroic Call (even though there is nothing heroic about Gaspy...)
- Shae - Gaspy can run a privateer jack for him, while stacking blood thirst with Shae's own threat extenders. Shae also notoriously struggles with high arm, which Dark Shroud helps with and Storm Rager turns Gaspy into a true angel of death!
- He and his unit are fantastic enablers for Flank in the Irregulars. Also a Diffuser beacon also can allow a marshalled jack to get a free charge.
- Damiano brings Death March or Sure foot and his feat, making him a very scary melee fighter. With Sure Foot you can make him no-knock down tough with the help of Gabriel Throne, while Death March means you will get a "free" 3" move on Gaspy if one of the servitors dies. Which they will do because you are encouraged to always have them engaged to something, on top of making him MAT 9. Note that his feat also works on all jacks Gaspy is able to bring. +3 ARM and STR will make any melee jack, even lights like the Stalker, a serious threat to most things. Damiano also notably does have his own threat extension for his jacks in Road to War, so Blood Thirst is very much appreciated as it leats you double stack extenders for some crazy threat ranges.
- If you are ever worried about a Diffuser beacon not hitting due to RAT 3, just have Damiano cast Dead Eye on it.
- Crosse2 has a very good Dauntless target in him, making Gaspy ARM 20 and giving him Tough. A turn of stealth from his feat also goes a long way of protecting him from shooting, while Ghost Walk and Flight let Gaspy go where ever he pleases. In return Gaspy functions as a damage fixer for Crosses's army, who has none himself.
- Ashlynn2 - Gaspy is basically another heavy she doesn't have to fuel, brings damage fixes, and there is hardly a model that benefits more from True Path than Gaspy. You can also put HoF for lots and lots of damage on him.
- Thexus - Telekinesis casters are very, very deadly together with Gaspy, as they can clear charge langes and/or extend them but TKing intevening models, a potential charge target or Gaspy himself. Decel is also wonderful against shooting and Thexus feat extends threat ranges even further.
- Cyphon - Perseverance is a plain old ARM buff and prevents Gaspy from being pushed/moved, which can be very effective on Gaspy. Gallows is also a form of threat extension.
- In Scourge of the Broken Coast his jacks gain Gang Fighter, which stacks with Dark Shroud, so, so long as you have a friendly faction warrior nearby you can double stack the two abilities for some scary melee prowess.
- In Black Industries his heavies gain Carapace. Carapace is really good on beefy merc jacks like the Toro or Nomad. On the Shield Guards Swabber and Rover it becomes almost abusive.
- Wraith Engine - Gaspy gives it Bloodthirst for extra threat range. Note that, unlike Gaspy1 to 3, Gaspy4 is not Undead so doesn't benefit from the WE's armor buff.
- Deneghra3 - Gaspy collects souls so he has natural synergies with dragon Denny. More importantly they can stack Dark Shroud and Mortality for a -4 ARM swing and Denny will hardly find a better target for Grave Wind, making Gaspy almost impossible to take down. Naturally, Ghostly and Flight is also a great combo, enebling him to bring the hurt where he pleases. Lastly, as Denny is both a construct and undead, he and Darragh Wrathe can stack Blood Thirst and Death Ride on her for a ludicrous charge range of 17" on her (19 if he brings a Diffuser and lands a beacon).
- Grave Wind can also be put on Cankerworm, making it hilariously difficult to remove. Gaspy can bring Cankerworm into any theme he's allowed in.
- Another rather cute synergy is that fact that he can bring a Freebooter as a follow-up for her Scourges, with Dark Shroud, Gang Fighter and Thrash it will wreck almost anything it gets its pincers on!
- Skarre1 - She only really wants two things: Models that are durable for their cost, and threat extension. Gaspy4 is very durable in his own right and lets you bring the much tankier Merc jacks and his own threat extension. He can also kill practically anything under her feat and Dark Guidance on him, and quite likely survive the counterattack.
- Also his Services can be used for her Ritual Sacrifice spell
- Skarre2 - The main draws here are the fact that he can bring a Blockader for her, which in turn will be living the dream with her Black Spot and feat. Gaspy also benefits from this, of course, especially from the +5 DEF part of the feat.
- Skarre3 - Pretty much anything on her card works well with him, Dash, Dark Waves and Draconic Blessing make him a massive threat and since you will likely play her in Scourge of the Broken Coast aynway, he and his Servitors will be fantastic enablers of Gang Fighter due to their Dark Shroud.
- Scaverous normally struggles with damage so appreciates the Dark Shroud Gaspy brings, and in return he can buff Gaspy several ways:
- He brings TK (like Thexus above) and thus can manipulate the battlefield to give Gaspy and/or his jacks good charge angles.
- He can give Gaspy rerolls via Knowledge of the Damned (if Scaverous can ever get souls in the Age of Archons).
- He can give Gaspy or his jack Death Ward for +2 ARM. +2 ARM on an already beefy Merc jack is good.
- On feat turn Gaspy will gain boosted to-hits with his Hellfires.
- Lastly, you can put Soul Harvester on Gaspy and all the souls Gaspy or his servitors gather will be hoovered up by Scaverous. Not the best, because then Gaspy will get zero, but still it's an option.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- With the way Asphyxious's version of Limited Battlegroup is worded, Cankerworm is the only character warjack he can take. He can't take Deathjack in Black Industries, for instance.
- His poor RAT of 3 means ranged vectors are extremely unattractive to him, as they will almost never hit unless you target a model with a severe DEF debuff like knock down or paralysis on it. Buccaneers and Negation Angels are good sources for these debuffs.
- If you want to run the Servitors into position to apply Dark Shroud, then Asphyxious has to run or charge. He can't cast spells if he runs. And if he charges, Flight means that he will just zip over everything and probably leave himself exposed near the frontlines.
- If he is taken in Destruction Initiative his servitors sadly do not get Shield Guard since the theme specifies that only servitor solos get the benefit.
Tricks & Tips
- He doesn't give Bloodthirst to himself (although he does give it to his Servitors).
- Limited Battlegroup means his warjacks "swap" Factions. So his heavy warjacks will gain Carapace in Black Industries, and all his jacks will gain Gang Fighter in Scourge of the Broken Coast, regardless of whether they started as Cryx, Mercenary, or Convergence.
- His Servitors don't have the Companion rule so they will stay in play even after Asphyxious dies.
- If you add a Transverse Enumerator then the TE becomes the unit commander (see #Rules Clarifications). If you push the formation rules to the limit, you can have the Servitors apply Dark Shroud a long way from Gaspy.
- If he gives his unit the press forward order, he can still cast Flicker before making his charge move (given he has a viable charge target in his LOS) and his servitors can run after being flickered, so you can apply Dark Shroud from 14" away.
- Released 2020.03
Other Faction models
|Convergence Index (Edit)|
|Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
Accretion Servitors - Algorithmic Dispersion Optifex - Attunement Servitors - Destructotron 3000 - Elimination Servitors - Enigma Foundry - Frustum Locus - J.A.I.M.s - Prefect Hypatia - Reflex Servitors - Steelsoul Protector
|Clockwork Legions - Destruction Initiative - Strange Bedfellows|
|This index was last updated: 2020.08|
Rules Clarification : Asphyxious4 & a Transverse Enumerator
|This summary is specific to Warcaster/Warlock units. You may also want to check the Warcaster and Warlock pages respectively, for the "regular" rules clarifications.
|Which Faction am I?
Partisans & Theme Forces (Edit)
|* The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)
Note to Editors