Ashlynn d’Elyse, the Queen’s Blade
|We have 1321 articles and 89% are complete!||Please help review these models from 12+ months ago: (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Ashlynn2
- 3 List Building Advice
- 4 Other
- Mercenary - In a 2+ caster game, she can work for Crucible Guard, Cygnar, or Protectorate.
- Warcaster Unit - All warcasters come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome. Furthermore, this warcaster comes with some troopers that can be ordered around. (Click the link for a full rundown.)
Feat: Battle Cry
- Return up to 3 friendly destroyed Faction solos with points costs of 6 or less each to play.
- Place those models B2B with Ashlynn.
- Returned models must forfeit their Normal Movement or Combat Action the turn they were returned to play.
- Models that were destroyed this turn cannot be returned as a result of Battle Cry.
- Additionally, while in Ashlynn's control range, friendly Faction models gain Dying Breath.
- Dying Breath - When a model with Dying Breath is boxed by an enemy attack at any time except while it is advancing, it can be immediately make one basic attack.
- Battle Cry lasts for one round.
- Groundwork - While knocked down, this model is not automatically hit by melee attacks, and its DEF is not reduced by being knocked down.
- Hero of the People - When this model destroys one or more enemy models with a melee attack during its unit's activation, other friendly warrior models gain +2 to their attack rolls while in this model's command range. Hero of the People last for one turn.
- Tactician [ Llaelese ] - While in this model's command range, friendly Llaelese models can ignore other friendly Llaelese models when determining LOS. Friendly Llaelese models can advance through other friendly Llaelese models in this model's command range if they have enough movement to move completely past them.
- Hand Cannon - 12" range, POW 12 ranged attack
- Revanche - 2" reach, POW 7, P+S 12 melee attack
| Artifice of Deviation
|Place a 5" AOE anywhere completely within the spellcaster's control range. While completely within the AOE, friendly Faction models gain cover. Enemy models treat the AOE as rough terrain.|
| Blood of Liberty
|While in this model's control range, friendly living Llaelese models gain Tough and Unyielding. Blood of Liberty last for one round.
| Hand of Fate
|Target friendly Faction model/unit gains an additional die on attack and damage rolls. Discard the low die in each roll.|
|When an enemy model is damaged by Perdition, immediately after the attack is resolved one warjack in the spellcaster's battlegroup that is currently in its control range can make a full advance toward the nearest enemy model. A model can advance as a result of Perdition only once per turn.|
| True Path
|The spellcaster and friendly Faction warrior models/units beginning their activation in its control range gain +2" when advancing as part of their Normal Movement and Pathfinder during their activations. True Path lasts for one turn.|
Vayne di Brasco
|Vayne di Brasco1|
- Duelist - This model gains +2 DEF against melee attack rolls.
- Granted: Reposition [3"] - While this model is in formation, models in its unit gain Reposition [3"]. (Reposition [3"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 3", then its activation ends.)
- Point-Blank - During its activation, this model can make melee attacks with its ranged weapon, with a melee range of 0.5". Do not add this model's STR to damage rolls with ranged weapons. Charge attacks made with ranged weapons are not boosted.
- Dual Magelock - 10" range, ROF 2, POW 10 ranged weapon
- Damage Type: Magical
- Attack Type - Each time this weapon is used to make an attack, choose one of the following special rules:
- Black Penny - This attack ignores the target in melee DEF bonus.
- Trick Shot - If this attack directly hits, choose another model within 4" model hit. The chosen model suffers an unboostable POW 10 magical damage roll. The point of origin for this damage is the model hit. Trick Shot damage rolls are not considered to have been caused by an attack.
- Thunderbolt - Enemy models hit are pushed D3" directly away from the attacking model. On a critical hit, the enemy model becomes knocked down after being pushed.
- Both Barrels (★ Attack) - This model gains +4 to the damage roll for this attack. This model cannot make additional ranged attacks with this weapon during an activation in which it used a Both Barrels attack.
- Sword - 0.5" reach, POW 3, P+S 8 melee attack
- Duelist - This model gains +2 DEF against melee attack rolls.
- Granted: Riposte - While this model is in formation, models in its unit gain Riposte. (Riposte - When it is missed by an enemy melee attack, immediately after the attack is resolved this model can make one basic melee attack against the attacking model.)
- Dueling Blade - 0.5" reach, POW 4, P+S 10 melee attack
- Weighted Cloak - 0.5" reach POW 1, P+S 7 melee attack
- Flame in the Darkness. Ashlynn gains access to Khador and Cygnar warjacks in this theme.
- Llaelese Resistance. This unit gains Pathfinder in this theme.
- Soldiers of Fortune
- The Irregulars
Thoughts on Ashlynn2
Ashlynn2 in a nutshell
Ashlynn2 is concieved to be leading from the front. Her high DEF and immunity to knockdown's DEF penalty permit this to a certain extent, though she really isn't hardy enough to play very far forward in the early game - even a simple cavalry charge from the right model could quite possibly do her in. She also doesn't hit hard enough to encourage you to play forward like you would with Butcher3 or Barnabas2. Also Reposition 3" isn't good enough to get her back to safety.
So instead of leading from the front, she usually casts True Path and juggles Hand of Fate, which is kinda boring.
She has a mid to late game feat that brings back up to 18 points of models and can make for some janky assassination runs.
Three solos come back and are allowed to either move OR act in the same turn providing they did not die this turn. You can use this to assassinate the opposing caster, or to take out a high value target while getting back 10-18 points of your own. Obvious candidates are Anastasia to trigger Espionage and let the solos move and attack even if they have to give up their movemnt, Gorman1 to blind, Boss MacHorne to combo smite, Hermit or Ragman to produce an ARM debuff and Savio to make two strong attacks. All of these models can be taken in either Llaelese Resistance or Flame in the Darkness. Alternatively you can just revive potent ranged models to give them odd shooting angles and shoot something of value (preferably the enemy caster) to death. This works best in Irregulars where you can bring Harlowe, Scythe and Eiryss4. Other possibilities for interesting effects exist like Hutchuk or Dez, so use your imagination. Note that you cannot bring back Thrall Warriors as they do not have a points cost and are as such not costed at 6 points or lower. None doesn't mean zero in this case.
There is also the Dying Breath portion of the feat, which allows destroyed models to make an attack before being removed. Ranged units and weapon masters would be best for this. Most especially gun mages in the Llaelese theme. However this is more of a neat feature of the feat rather than the primary benefit.
Note that returned journeymen do not return with any focus on them and wont regain control of their jacks if they are still around. the latter is also true for any jack marshals you may bring.
With only 6 focus and 1-2 upkeeps out, you'll be picking any 1-2 of these spells per turn and forgoing the rest.
- Blood of Liberty - Affecting only Llaelese models rules out its use in themes other than Llaelese Resistance. Tough combined with Feign Death from Gibbs is moderately helpful. Unyielding is only really beneficial on Exemplar Cinerators and Bastions, which she can also speed up with True Path, so you're steered pretty hard toward those models. Otherwise you ignore this spell.
- Hand of Fate - It works best on any of the 6 colossals she can bring, but it works well on just about anything. It's an exceptional spell that you may wish to juggle.
- True Path - This will be one of your main spells in the early turns and eat up all your focus. Super useful in non-Llaelese armies where pathfinder is not abundant.
- Artifice of Deviation - This is Ashlynn's sole defense against ranged attacks, so if you need it, it's nice to toss it out there. In the rare instance your opponent does not have pathfinder, it can make for good board control as well.
- Perdition - This spell is a game winner when the stars align and a full advance toward the nearest enemy model is just what the doctor ordered. Keep in mind colossals can only move during their activation, so it doesn't actually have any benefit if that's all the battlegroup you have, other than being a bad nuke.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- She can't actually play forward very far due to boosted 10's and 11's being fully capable of hitting her and her wanting to spend all her focus.
- She has virtually no focus for a battle group, in fact she will likely not have much focus period. Most of the time you will upkeep HoF and cast True Path every round and camp the rest, or else she will die easily.
- Her two companions have lower DEF leaving her vulnerable to enemy debuffs if those models are left exposed.
- Aurora1, Shae and Blaize all have +2 MOV spells and also have better delivery mechanisms than Ashlynn.
Tricks & Tips
- Di Brascio:
- He gets to choose an Attack Type even when he does a Both Barrels attack. Note that, if you pick Trick Shot, the second damage roll doesn't get +4 damage.
- When he uses Point-Blank, he gets two melee attacks with his ROF 2 gun plus his sword attack.
- Or he can use Point-Blank with Both Barrels. You won't get the a sword attack if you choose this option though.
- His Point-Blank attacks get to pick an Attack Type too.
List Building Advice
Your biggest challenge will be safely delivering the army mostly intact. Ashlynn offers limited ranged defense and has no great way to stop enemy alpha strikes if they out threat her or if they have a strong defensive feat.
One huge draw for this theme is the free rubble, which effectively doubles her Artifice of Deviation spell to stop shooting. Her feat solos are Gorman1, Anastasia and Boss Machorne, Ragman, Taryn and maybe Crosse1. Sylys and Gibbs round it out on the utility side. Then you would load up on Morrowan Archons and Thamarite Archons and see how many points you have left.
For your non-Merc options: If you want to use Blood of Liberty, Exemplar Cinerators and/or Exemplar Bastions are the obvious choice as they benefit from Unyielding while most warrior models don't. Exemplar Vengers, too can get pretty high up in the ARM department with Battle Driven. Virtually all Exemplar units take Hand of Fate very well. Choir of Menoth are an option if you want to have a Galleon shooting at POW 15 with Hand of Fate. That can do serious damage.
Alternatively use Trencher Long Gunners to form a gunline with HoF. Go to Ground makes them blast immune to they don't mind bunching up in an Artifice. Round it out with a second unit of Longgunners if you want to cycle HoF, or use Storm Lances who make excellent use of Blood Liberty and True Path.
Flame in the Darkness
- Savio and Hermit are the obvious feat target solos.
- Bring 2 Morrowan Archons, and 1-2 Thamarite Archons. They are amazing models and make great use of True Path.
- Precursor Knights with Hand of Fate should get there with Vengeance and True Path and they should annihilate just about anything. 2 Units should be about all you can afford.
- Legion of Lost Souls care a high quality unit with recursion and RFP. Blood Bound does work with Dying Breath attacks from the feat, just note that the dying model cannot revive itself
- Gallant - It's a Shield Guard that has Accumulator and therefore demands less focus from her.
- Grolar a fully loaded Grolar with Hand of Fate on it is an incredible assassination piece, as Vlad2 players will attest. Ash can replicate that here.
- She has access to a total of six colossals here. All of them will do well with HoF on them. Especially a Hurricane.
Scythe, Harlow and Hermit are great solos to bring back. Hermit helps the output of a HoF Galleon. In Irregulars you would simply be trying to leverage Hand of Fate and True Path to deliver your army as you have no Morrowan Archons to help you play forward. Bring Asphyxious4.
- Idrian Skirmishers - Under Hand of Fate they should be able to gun down a good portion of the enemy army, then throw down in melee with the help of True Path, Dark Shroud and Master of Ruin. Go To Ground makes them deliverable into blasts and guns.
Soldiers of Fortune
The main reason to play in this theme is to juggle the hell out of Hand of Fate between Steelhead Halberdiers and Steelhead Cavalry units. Just load up on the dudes and send them screaming across the table with True Path. Also Halberdiers in Verendrye's command range get Wall of Steel, which helps them resist blast damage when bunched up in an Artifice of Deviation.
- The best feat solos here are Gorman1, Anastasia and Dez in order to slam the enemy caster closer to the rest of your army.
- Rocinante provides focus efficiency and Guard Dog. The Guard Dog ability allows Ashlynn to play forward a bit further than in Irregulars and gun with HoF on it will do some serious damage, too.
- A Galleon with HoF will perform very well supported by Mark the Target and an Arcanist.
She has too many spells to cast so her battlegroup is going to be small, either one colossal or two heavies.
- There's a few jacks mentioned previously, because they're only available in specific themes.
- Galleon - Normally a terrible colossal, Hand of Fate enables it to sit back and launch the hate, especially with Choir or Hermit.
- Blockader - Also good with Hand of Fate but she offers it no threat extension.
- Mangler - It has a free charge and can wreck some shop under Hand of Fate
- Mariner - It can sit back and shoot every turn and not always demand focus to accomplish something.
- Stormwall has a lot of utility and two really long range guns.
- Hurricane offers outstanding guns for HoF and Ashlynn's True Path spell gets around the problem of your Archons losing Flight when near the thing.
- Nomad - 2 of them make a cheap battlegroup that puts out big hits if you're strapped for points, costing only 2 points more than her WJP allowance.
- Released 2020.03
- Ashlynn was the inaugural winner of the Warmadness 2019 popularity contest (out of a pool of 64 casters), making her ostensibly the most beloved character in the game. Her prize was the creation of Ashlynn2.
Warjacks she can take
With the way Mercenary battlegroups work, this model can't simply control any Mercenary warjack, and instead is limited to the following choices:
|Mercenary Warjacks (Human) (Edit)|
|Light||Buccaneer - Renegade (Magnus only) - Scallywag - Swashbuckler - Talon - Vanguard|
|Heavy||Freebooter - Gallant - Mangler - Mariner - Mule - Nomad - Rocinante - Rover - Toro - Swabber|
|Colossal||Blockader - Galleon|
- Note: Other restrictions may apply, such as 'Jack Marshals can't control Colossals, character warjacks aren't allowed in most theme forces, etc.
Other Mercenary models
|This summary is specific to Warcaster/Warlock units. You may also want to check the Warcaster and Warlock pages respectively, for the "regular" rules clarifications.
|* The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)
|Resolving the attack|
Under this heading, the word "Thresher" is used interchangeably for "Flashing Blade" and "Cyclone" too
Flashing Blade only
Note to Editors